Category: Uncategorized


Leaving the Czechs?

In what is almost a follow up to our previous post on live-action series set location speculation, The Wall Street Journal has published a piece highlighting the fact that the live-action series seems to be drifting away from the Czech Republic as a set location due to a lack of tax incentives. Could Hungary be the alternative? Click here for the full piece and see below for an excerpt.

“Mr. Lucas has chosen the Czech Republic for smaller projects. The filmmaker and his executive producer, Rick McCallum, recently completed the filming of “Red Tails,” a low-budget movie about African-American fighter pilots during World War II, in which locations in the Czech Republic doubled for Italy.

With a budget of $25 million, “Red Tails” was relatively inexpensive to make for Lucasfilm, Mr. Lucas’s production company, and Mr. McCallum said the high skill level of Czech film crews overcame the lack of tax breaks.

But this likely won’t be enough for the “Star Wars” television series, with a planned budget of $100 million to $150 million annually to shoot about 100 episodes over four years, Mr. McCallum said. “I had a wonderful experience on ‘Red Tails,’ but in order to bring a larger production to the Czech Republic, the government would need to be competitive with other countries’ tax incentives,” Mr. Lucas said.”

Big thanks to Atlas of Starwars.hu for the link

Shooting in Australia

Bib Fortuna, Boba Fett, General Papanoida, a Mandalorian and two Rebels with last names Naberre and Durron

Read more at Suite101: Star Wars TV Series Rumours are Firming Up: George Lucas Project Said to be Shooting in Australia with Daniel Logan, Sam Witner Rumoured http://scifitv.suite101.com/article.cfm/star_wars_all_set_to_conquer_television#ixzz0bhFfIfM9

John Edwards to write Star Wars TV show?

by Aaron Asadi

2120roj_key_d2-1220rgbRumours are whizzing around that the highly-anticipated Star Wars TV show now has its first writers attached. Currently, the favourite to be announced as one the TV series’ scribes is Australian TV producer and writer, John Edwards. If appointed, Edwards, who has been responsible for a clutch of successful domestic shows, including Out Of The Blue and Fireflies, will likely find himself under intense scrutiny from the most dedicated fanbase in the world.

Earlier this week, SciFiWire reported that “the show is assembling high-quality writers from the Aussie TV industry, including writers from Love My Way and Secret Life of Us, who have been approached by Lucas’ longtime producer Rick McCallum.” The news, rather predictably, set sci-fi forums ablaze, with some corners unconvinced by the calibre and suitability of the talent. Only time will tell if they are proved correct.

The Star Wars TV show will take place between the events of Episode III and Episode IV. In January last year producer Rick McCallum confirmed that Boba Fett “will be an instrumental part of the series”.

Stay tuned to scifinow.co.uk for more updates and in the meantime why not check out our article on the five storylines we’d like to see the new show cover?

Cast

Bib Fortuna, Boba Fett, General Papanoida, a Mandalorian and two Rebels with last names Naberre and Durro

Secret 3-D Films

While a Sarlacc may take over a thousand years to fully digest its prey, the pop-culture news cycle has proven once again to be the complete opposite — devouring and spitting out a new rumor about the “Star Wars” series in less than 24 hours this week. But what makes fans think there would be a new trilogy in the first place? And where should the most successful movie franchise of all time go from here?

The hijinks began Wednesday evening (October 21), when 3-D-movie-focused blog MarketSaw reported that it had an internal source who’d infiltrated the trusted circle of George Lucas like Princess Leia in a Boushh costume. According to the “absolutely connected” source, Lucas is making secret plans to create a new trilogy of films that will be shot in stereoscopic 3-D — and could be directed by such filmmakers as Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola. A mere four hours later, Ain’t It Cool News had a Lucasfilm rep insisting “We do not have any Star Wars theatrical movies planned,” and the ridicule began.

But is the notion of three more “Star Wars” films as absurd as it may seem? Those with Yoda-like memories might say no.

In 1978, a Lucas profile by Time magazine reported that the director planned to make “Star Wars II, and then, count them, 10 other planned sequels.” A 1983 article said that Lucas was making plans to revisit Luke Skywalker “some place in his 60s,” and that Mark Hamill and the original series stars would “get first crack at the roles — if they look old enough.” As recently as 1999, as Lucas’ prequels began hitting theaters, the original trilogy was still being described as the middle films in a nine-part epic.

Unfortunately for fans, Lucas has changed his tune over the years. Vague plans became an insistence that the series would only be six films, with Lucas telling the BBC: “I never had a story for the sequels, for the later ones. … And also, I’ll be to a point in my age where to do another trilogy would take 10 years.” As recently as last year, Lucas told The Los Angeles Times: “There really isn’t any story to tell there. … It’s been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don’t really have anything to do with, other than being the person who built the sandbox they’re playing in.”

In that aforementioned media, many plot points abound: Han and Leia marry and have three children; Boba Fett survives his fall into the Sarlacc pit; Luke rebuilds the Jedi Order and has a son named Ben. None of it, however, is likely to ever be as long as Lucas has a say in the matter.

“I get asked all the time, ‘What happens after “Return of the Jedi”?,’ and there really is no answer for that,” he continued. “The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that’s where that story ends.”

Now that he’s 65 years old (and Spielberg is 63 and Coppola is 70), it seems highly unlikely that the idea of handing over a decade to “Star Wars” sequels is attractive — even if it would be done with the 3-D technology high-profile directors are embracing. Instead, Lucas’ not-so-evil empire is focused on exploring the time between trilogies with the successful “Clone Wars” series currently running on Cartoon Network, last year’s CG-animated “Clone Wars” theatrical film and a mysterious upcoming live-action television series set in what Obi-Wan Kenobi once called “The Dark Times.”

Although Harrison Ford showed with his recent “Indiana Jones” sequel that he isn’t above revisiting a classic character, the man once known as Han Solo is now 67; Hamill is 58 and Carrie Fisher is 54. Lucas’ onetime vision of a third trilogy would need to be enacted soon — and to fans who want to see Luke, Leia and Han together again, this week’s MarketSaw article is like a tiny hologram projected by R2-D2, professing itself as their only hope.
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1624504/story.jhtml

Star Wars Live Action Series Filming

Sacramento Sci-Fi Examiner

Lucas wants to film the live action series covering the “dark times” period of Star Wars lore between Episode 3 and Episode 4, in Prague, the capitol of the Czech Republic. He hopes to get a tax break from the government there. The series is intended to elaborate on the rebellion against the Empire whose head is Palpatine, a Sith Lord, (the Jedi’s greatest enemy, an anti-Jedi), but supposedly will not feature either the emperor or Darth Vader. However, there is always the possibility the series will focus on Vader’s hunt for the remaining Jedi that survived the purge in Revenge of the Sith. In any case, the primary characters will not be Jedi but ordinary beings from the Star Wars universe whose roles are usually overshadowed by the pivotal Jedi characters in all of the six movies.

There will be appearances by Obi Wan Kenobi and at least one other Jedi -Quinlan Vos, who never made an appearance in any of the prequels, but is a well known character in Star Wars universe graphic novels. It is unknown if Ewan McGregor will be the one to don the beard and cloak again to reprise his role of Obi Wan from the Prequel movies, but it seems unlikely since he has not been contacted to play the part. Boba Fett will also be a recurring character and Daniel Logan who played the young Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones is being considered to play the adult Boba.

Lucas plans on writing the first season and will then hand it off to a worthy successor, at this time it is unclear who that will be. Not only will there be one Star Wars television show for fans to relish, but eventually there will be several with plots that connect all of them together and tell the story of the dark times mentioned by Obi Wan in the first Star Wars movie ever made, A New Hope.

Rumors abound about whether or not they have started casting calls since George Lucas said he wouldn’t start casting until the script had been written, and it is unclear whether principal filming will take place in Prague or Sydney. However, the series will debut in 2010, a year earlier than planned, so it is likely the script is done and the casting is underway.

http://www.examiner.com/x-20187-Sacramento-SciFi-Examiner~y2009m8d16-Star-Wars-live-action-TV-series-to-start-filming-this-year

Star Wars Live Television Shows Secrets From Steve Sansweet

Writers Hard at Work

Sci FIre Wire Reports

Our Australian sister site SCI FI TV reports a rumor that preproduction is gearing up for George Lucas’ proposed live-action Star Wars series, which is to be shot Down Under.

The site, citing anonymous sources, adds that the show is assembling high-quality writers from the Aussie TV industry, including writers from Love My Way and Secret Life of Us, who have been approached by Lucas’ longtime producer Rick McCallum.

The as-yet-untitled series is supposedly set to debut in 2010, though there has been no word of a distributor yet. The series will reportedly be set between the eras of Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope and will not feature any major characters from the film series.

Michael Pinto writes

tout01Over the last few hours I’ve been following rumors of a Star Wars live action television series which will be shot in Australia — well I’ve just confirmed from a source who has a friend that works at ILM that this rumor is in fact true! My understanding from what I’ve been able to gather is that the series will be high quality and tap into local talent from Australia from well know film people to science fiction writers. The series is suppose to be aimed at adults (unlike the previous cartoon series) and focus on relationships and emotional landscapes — which means that it might be in more of the “chick flick” tradition.

I’d trust Lucas to not let this series get too silly — but frankly it comes down to the team they put on it. Although my hopes are are what we’ll see will fall more in the tradition of this:

TV Star Wars Filming NOw

Jango Fett - Attack of the Clones
20th Century Fox, Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones

Lucas wants to film the live action series covering the “dark times” period of Star Wars lore between Episode 3 and Episode 4, in Prague, the capitol of the Czech Republic. He hopes to get a tax break from the government there. The series is intended to elaborate on the rebellion against the Empire whose head is Palpatine, a Sith Lord, (the Jedi’s greatest enemy, an anti-Jedi), but supposedly will not feature either the emperor or Darth Vader. However, there is always the possibility the series will focus on Vader’s hunt for the remaining Jedi that survived the purge in Revenge of the Sith. In any case, the primary characters will not be Jedi but ordinary beings from the Star Wars universe whose roles are usually overshadowed by the pivotal Jedi characters in all of the six movies.

There will be appearances by Obi Wan Kenobi and at least one other Jedi – Quinlan Vos, who never made an appearance in any of the prequels, but is a well known character in Star Wars universe graphic novels. It is unknown if Ewan McGregor will be the one to don the beard and cloak again to reprise his role of Obi Wan from the Prequel movies, but it seems unlikely since he has not been contacted to play the part. Boba Fett will also be a recurring character and Daniel Logan who played the young Boba Fett in Attack of the Clones is being considered to play the adult Boba.

Lucas plans on writing the first season and will then hand it off to a worthy successor, at this time it is unclear who that will be. Not only will there be one Star Wars television show for fans to relish, but eventually there will be several with plots that connect all of them together and tell the story of the dark times mentioned by Obi Wan in the first Star Wars movie ever made, A New Hope.

Rumors abound about whether or not they have started casting calls since George Lucas said he wouldn’t start casting until the script had been written, and it is unclear whether principal filming will take place in Prague or Sydney. However, the series will debut in 2010, a year earlier than planned, so it is likely the script is done and the casting is underway.